Saturday, February 1, 2014

Quilting Celtic Solstice

I've been working hard.  I got my borders put on and the backing pieced. The quilt will finish at approximately 85" square.

I spray basted the layers and did some stitch-in-the-ditch stabilizing.  The free motion is driving me crazy, though, because there are so many seams and intersections.  Normally I use a Bernina Stitch Regulator on my Bernina Aurora 440 QE.  It does NOT like white tone on tone fabric, and it does not like seams and intersections.  I quickly went back to using the darning foot.  It's going to be a L....O....N.....G  process!

 
This is the finished top.

 
 
 
This is a close-up of one corner.
 
 
.
 
The pieced backing has colorful hedgehogs and leftover units from making the quilt.
 
 
This is the center of the backing.  I plan to make the pieced unit my label, and I will write the pertinent information into the lighter parts of it.
 
 
 
Here the pictures show that I am trying to add some curves to the blue units that form the large circles.  My stitching gets bumped out of line at almost every intersection!!
 
 
 
 
Fortunately, I've learned from experience that once all the quilting is done, those small mistakes rarely show up to the casual viewer. :)
 
 
 
 
 
 



15 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful, love the extra light border! Now I am worried about quilting mine. I am only new to this, but know I can't afford to pay to get it quilted so will have to do it myself, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The expense of having somebody else do it is why I'm quilting mine myself. I will say this. Stitching in the ditch with the walking foot went great. There were no problems with that at all. So really, you could do some kind of overall grid design with just straight stitching. The pattern is so complex that it doesn't really need anything fancy anyway.

      Delete
  2. It 's looking good from here, and I'm sure you're right about the awkward parts of the quilting not showing up to the casual viewer. I'm sure you don't invite the quilt police round to inspect your bedrooms, so everyone who sees it, and sleeps under it will be wowed.
    Thanks for the tip about the Bernina 440QE and BSR. I have the same set up and am also going to quilt it myself. I decided to quilt-as-you-go because I was worried about the volume of rolled up quilt to be tucked into the machine. It will mean though that I won't be able to emphasize the circles in the quilting. Maybe I should think again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both the front and the back of your quilt! I am impressed that you are quilting it yourself, I sent mine off to the quilter today. She does a much better job than I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing, I'll be quilting mine myself also, glad to see your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are daring to quilt it yourself on your Bernina. Sorry the BSR didn't work. The quilting really doesn't show after it is washed. I like your pieced final border too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful! The only way mine will get quilted is if I do it myself, but I'm not looking forward to those intersections, either! I will be avoiding them as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great finish! Love that backing--perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your CS turned out beautifully. Good luck with the rest of the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Celtic Solstice is beautiful.....and I admire the fact you are quilting this mammoth project on a domestic machine! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep going Carole. I have yet to start the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great, love the hedgehogs and the way you did the back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Celtic Solstice looks great!

    ReplyDelete